Is Your Water Clean?
How do you know for sure? Have you had a water test completed recently? Whether you’re on a well or city water, contaminates are likely. JBC Water Treatment Company provides free testing and affordable water filtration systems no matter which water comes in to your home.
City Water Needs Filtration Too
Water is treated by the city, but only approximately 2% is for in-home use. No doubt this water meets or exceeds EPA standards. The other 98% is for firefighting, industrial use, etc. The water delivered to your home would still need to travel through miles of pipe that was installed who-knows how long ago?
It’s easy to see how more water treatment is necessary when water enters your home. The city could do it, but your bills would go through the roof.
Water supply systems get water from a variety of locations, including groundwater (aquifers) and surface water (lakes and rivers). The water is then, in most cases, purified. The process goes something like this in the case of city/municipal water being fed by a groundwater supply:
- Water first enters the water treatment facility through an inlet pipe with a large metal grill to keep out large debris.
- A preliminary screening takes place at a pumping station, which removes fish, garbage, sewage, and grass.
- Once the debris is removed, the raw water enters the water treatment plant. At this point the water is dirty, smelly and unsafe to drink. Activated carbon is added to the water to remove the bad taste and odor.
- The water now enters a series of mixing tanks to coagulate and form clumps of sedimentation to be filtered mechanically removing all particulate matter. However, the clear water is still teaming with bacteria and viruses.
- Technicians chlorinate the water by adding 1.9 ml per liter of water and in many municipal water treatment systems fluoride is also added to the water supply. Treated water then either flows by gravity or is pumped to reservoirs, which can be elevated in such cases as water towers or on the ground. Once water is used, waste water is typically discharged in a sewer system and treated in a waste water treatment plant before being discharged into a river.